Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread


I love zucchini bread!  As much as I would like to convince myself how healthy it is (it has a green vegetable in the title!) most recipes are high in sugar and oil and low in actual zucchini.  This is my latest version in which I have tried to up the veggie portion and lower the oil and sugar portion.  I have to say I think it turned out quite good!  As you can see above my favorite way to prepare them is in mini-muffin form.  This makes for great snacks for all and easy finger food for my littlest.

Ingredients
3 1/4 cups flour (I like a combo of whole wheat and white whole wheat)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
4 eggs beaten
1/3 cup of water
4-5 medium zucchini grated
3 carrots grated
1 tsp lemon juice
*chopped walnuts or pecans or shelled sunflower seeds (optional)*

1. Preheat oven to 350

2. In a large bowl combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar

3. In another bowl combine eggs, oil, applesauce, zucchini, carrots, and lemon juice

4. mix wet into dry, fold (don't overmix)

5.  Bake: loaf pan = 1 hour, muffins = 20-25 minutes, mini-muffins = 13-17 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment